736 Drug Related Deaths in 2016
20 Mar 2019
More than two people died each day in Ireland during 2016 as a result of poisoning, trauma or medical causes linked to drug use according to the latest figures* from the Health Research Board (HRB). A total of 736 people died in 2016 compared to 431 in 2004 - representing an increase of 71%.
Key findings – all deaths 2016
- There were 736 deaths in 2016, similar to the number reported in 2015 (735).
- Many of these deaths were premature – half of all deaths in 2016 were aged 42 years or younger.
- 21,300 potential life years were lost** because of drug-related deaths.
- Three-in-four (549) of all deaths were male.
- A total of 34 (5%) deaths were among people who were injecting drugs and the majority 22 (65%) died in Dublin City More information